Wednesday, May 4, 2011

cake bites | a tutorial

Here is the tutorial I told you I'd post. :) They're really not that hard to make. It's time consuming, but easy.
Here is what your finished product will look like. And let me tell you, it does take practice.


To start, this is what you'll need:

Rubber candy molds like these. You can usually find them at craft stores.


And these candy melts. They come in all different kinds of colors and flavors. You can mix and match with whatever you like. These can also be found at craft stores.
You'll also need almond bark (chocolate or white), a cake mix (what ever kind you want), and a can of frosting (also your choice). Like I said, you can use different kinds of cake, frosting, candy melts, and almond bark to make all kinds of combinations. It's really fun. :)

1. Bake your cake. After it is done, and has cooled, carefully move it all to a large bowl, letting it crumble. 
Once it is in the bowl, sort of chop it up so that it's a big bowl of cake crumbs. :)

2. Add the entire can of frosting to the bowl of cake and mix it all together. 
3. Form the cake into small balls and place them on a tray. I think we found it easier to put the cake balls in the refrigerator for a few minutes. 

4. Melt the almond bark and pour a little into each candy mold. Fill it about half full.


5. Place the cake ball in the mold. You may have to move it around a little so that the chocolate comes up around the sides of the mold like this-


6. Put them in the refrigerator until the chocolate is hardened. Then bend the candy mold down so that it pops out. 


7. Melt the candy melts in the microwave until they are smooth. Spread it on top like frosting. Add sprinkles or whatever you like on the top.



And that's all. They are done! :)

I know the pictures are awful, I'm sorry, but at least you can see what I'm trying to explain. :)

-Eliza





6 comments:

Renée said...

Ohhh these look delish! Ill have to try! Or have my sister make them...she's a better baker:) Thanks for the super sweet comment on my blog! Made my day! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Mmmm.. those look delicious and super fun to make!
capturedbythelense.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Eliza, my friend. I would like you to know, that I do read your blog, and it is adorable :D I just haven't seemed to get the whole comment thing down, in a while. lol! (I don't think that made sense) I'll have to try this recipe someday! It look deliousiante! (don't ask, it's just a word I say..)

~Guess who...

Eliza said...

Dear anonymous,
I'm sorry, but I can't possibly guess who you are. But I can't wait any longer, please tell me. ;) I'm anxious to know. ;)
Eliza

Julia said...

Oh those look delicious! Very pretty, too! :D

sim said...

Hello Eliza,

Your blog is beautiful and those cupcakes look simply yummy. I thought your photos were quite beautiful actually. What didn't you like about them?

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Have a nice day. ;)